Monday, October 22, 2012

Comments and Praise


Blog 7

Response to Jonnett Johnson’s blog “Macho Man?”

I’ve also had someone very dear to me experience violence and rape from a boyfriend. She is one of my very best friends from high school. She had been seeing her boyfriend for almost a year. Little did me or our friends know that he had been abusing her. It started small, harassing phone calls, ridiculous jealousy, constant fighting. Then it started to get worse, he began to hit her during their arguments. During Spring Break our senior year of high school my friend and her best friend went to the beach with my friends boyfriend.  There he ended up beating her. She needed stitches in the head. She told all of us she had tripped. Her best friend had seen the whole thing and just kept her mouth shut. Then the night of our senior prom he almost beat her to death, raped her, paraded her around his house naked taunting and harassing her, held a knife to her throat in front of her parents and the police when they tried to save her. By some miracle my friend didn’t die that night. Sadly, it really seemed like justice was never achieved for my friend though. We got her boyfriend evicted and he spent a year in jail but that was it. . .I so wish that women would remove themselves from bad relationships but sadly some women don’t respect themselves enough or don’t know that they deserve better. It’s scary. I wish that those things had never happened to my friend or yours. 

Response to Jillian Gordon’s blog “Homosexuality in the church”

I love this blog entry. I grew up in a very open-minded church and family. I’ve never had any doubts that homosexuality was just as normal and “ok” as heterosexuality. Once I got into my small Mississippi high school, that’s when I found out that my view on homosexuality was not so common. I won’t lie, I was pretty angry about the judgement people passed about homosexuals. It seemed so wrong to me that people thought they could judge someone to the point of hatred and still consider themselves “good Christians.” It blew my mind that people who had pre-marital sex, regularly participated in vulgar speech and acts, basically people breaking “Christian codes,” but still thought that homosexuality was such a sin. Sinners judging sinners pretty much. It’s crazy. “Let he who has not sinned through the first stone.” John 8:7. It’s honestly one of my very favorite verses from the bible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment